Thursday, February 16, 2012

Where's Cin Craven?

Hello Everyone!

For those of you who don't follow me on Facebook, last September my 16-year-old Jack Russell, Piglet, fell ill. She was diagnosed with renal failure and I firmly believe she also experienced a series of small strokes.

I don't think she really felt bad most of the time, but she lost the instinct to lick and had to have her food and water given to her via syringe. Needless to say, taking care of her was the only thing I did and the only thing on my mind for three solid months. I couldn't concentrate on anything else. I lost her the day before Christmas Eve. She was the sweetest, most wonderful and generous dog I've ever had the privilege to know and I miss her like crazy. I had had her since she was 6-weeks-old and she was the mother to my other three Jack Russells. Her loss has left a very big hole in all our lives.

Add to that my debilitating writer's block and I'll be honest with you all, I have mentally composed a letter to my readers over the last several months saying that whatever talent I once possessed was just gone.

And then I was driving along last Saturday night, headed to Olive Garden for a dinner with my best friend to celebrate Singles Awareness Day (aka Valentine's Day), minding my own business, when I suddenly had An Idea. That Idea has percolated in my head this week into a full-blown story for book four! You have no idea how nice it is to finally have them running around in my head again. It's been kind of a shock and a little bit overwhelming!

I always basically knew what I wanted to accomplish with the next book, I just didn't have an actual plot. I had a whole lot of blank white screen, though, and absolutely nothing flowing to fill it up! At the moment I'm trying to figure out how all these new ideas fit in with the rest of the series and how I want everything to end up. I will never be a chess player because I can't think several moves ahead (in writing, or in life) but I've gotten far enough into this series that I have to stop and do that now. I don't want to get to book six and think, "Oh, crap, I shouldn't have done that in book four." Or worse, "I should have done that in book four and I didn't." But we finally have a story and the muse is talking to me! I just have to find the time to write now. Winter is a very hard time to do that with my farm chores. I'm at the barn taking care of my animals a good portion of the daylight hours and by the time the sun sets, I'm exhausted. My fingers are itching to get into this story, though, so hopefully I'll have some good news for you all soon!

As always, the best way to keep up with me is on Facebook. I'm going to try to do better about posting to the blog, but I am on Facebook every day. It's sort of my lifeline to the outside world and we have a lot of fun there.

Thank you so much to each and every one of you for your support and encouragement. You really do keep me going when I want to give up!!

Best wishes to us all for an early spring,
Jenna


12 comments:

  1. Life gets us all, Jenna but I know it's in you somewhere. Maybe it'll take it awhile to get to the end of it all, but I personally will be with you all the way!

    Love ya!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I'm, so happy for you. I always knew you had more stories in that wonderful head of yours

    Hugs, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    So happy to hear that the muse is back! We all knew you were busy with Piglet and that had to be your priority. I hope you find some time soon and are able to start writing. I can't wait (but I guess I'm going to have to)
    Take care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that things are coming together, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenna, I am sorry to read about Piglet, I know how hard it is to let go of a beloved animal/member of your household.
    But I am so happy for you that the muse is back, and stories are appearing in your head again! I really dislike facebook though, so I'll just have to keep up with the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry we won't get to meet you on Facebook! I love it, but then as an author I get to skip a lot of the personal drama that seems to follow people who use it to connect with family and friends. That seems a little backward, doesn't it? I do have at least two readers on Facebook who only use it to keep up with their favorite authors and musicians and don't have any family or friends on their account. I will try to use the blog more. I talk all the time on Facebook and then I get over here and can't think of a single useful thing to say that anyone would want to hear!

      Delete
  6. Thank you all so much for your kind words! They mean the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big pet fan, but my family has always had a lot of animals so I know what is like to loose a family member and I'm sorry for your loss. She lives on in your memories of her and her puppies. :)

    Inversely, like the others, I'm glad to hear your muse is back and that we can again look forward to a next book. I think it is safe to say many of us are rooting for you and your characters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you lost your "fur baby". I know it's really difficult as they are members of your family. You always know in the back of your head that when you bring that baby home, it will eventually be gone too! It just makes us love them all the more! I'm also happy to hear that Cin is talking to you again. I know she'll be relaying lots of great things to come. Keep us all in the loop, we love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I am so sorry about your dog. That must have been very hard.

    I am very happy that you have an idea for a new Cin book! I love this series, because Cin is strong, and the fact that you mix in witches and vampires just makes everything more interesting IMO.

    Have a wonderful spring yourself! Greetings from Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I am very sorry about your dog - it must have been very hard, and I understand wanting and needing to care for her being the most important thing in your life while she was ill.

    I am very, very happy Cin has appeared in your imagination again - I have missed her! She is a great heroine, and I love that she is both a witch and a vampire. Greetings from Switzerland :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenna couldnt help but notice the picture of Piglet, she looks just like my jack russell, Piper. Piper is 12 this year and I dont look for her to be around much longer. I'm sorry to hear about Piglet as Piper is to me what Piglet was to you. I would be lost without her but I have read book two of your series and I am looking forward to the rest soon!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete